April 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
State representative hopes for King County Council seat
As expected, state Rep. Dave Upthegrove announced today that he will run for the Metropolitan King County Council in the 5th district, which is being vacated by Council member Julia Patterson this year.
Upthegrove is clearly Patterson’s chosen successor. In a news release, she was quoted as saying that Upthegrove “will hit the ground running and serve this community with distinction.”
One other person — Alex Tsimerman — has filed for Patterson’s seat, but has not raised any money or formed a committee, according to the Washington Public Disclosure Commission.
Upthegrove was born and raised in South King County and graduated from Lakeside High School and the University of Colorado-Boulder.
In 12 years in the legislature, according to his campaign news release, Upthegrove has been involved in education policy and was Washington Conservation Voters “Legislator Of The Year” in 2011 for his work cleaning up contaminated soil at schools and daycares.
- Ed Murray names deputies, other high-profile hires
- Gun-rights groups dominate in money to state’s politicians
- Sen. Patty Murray: Budget deal will restore public trust in Congress
- State Senate majority plans to pick up where it left off last session
- Gov. Jay Inslee named finance chair for Democratic Governors Association
About this blog
Trending with readers