October 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Another victim of federal shutdown: unemployment statistics
No information will be coming out next Wednesday about how many people are unemployed because the folks who calculate that information are, well, unemployed.
The state Employment Security Department sent out an email to that effect Friday, stating “the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics is closed and hasn’t been able to transfer the necessary data to the states. In addition, nearly all of Employment Security’s labor-market information staff has been furloughed because the federal funds that support the office have been cut off.”
According to the department, the September report was scheduled to be released Oct. 16, but will be delayed indefinitely. “Once the federal office is open again, we will learn if and when there will be a September report,” the email said.
- Sen. Patty Murray: Budget deal will restore public trust in Congress
- State Senate majority plans to pick up where it left off last session
- Gov. Jay Inslee named finance chair for Democratic Governors Association
- State climate panel melts down
- Anti-DUI work group: Yes to random checkpoints, no to alcohol bans
About this blog
Trending with readers