October 24, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Tom Foley memorial service set for Oct. 29 at U.S. Capitol
WASHINGTON — An invitation-only memorial service for former Speaker Tom Foley of Spokane will be held next Tuesday at the U.S. Capitol.
Former President Bill Clinton is expected to attend, according to Foley’s widow, Heather Foley. She said President Obama has not replied to his invitation.
A second, public service has been scheduled for 11 a.m. on Nov. 1 at St. Aloysius Church in Spokane near Gonzaga University.
Foley, a Democrat who represented Eastern Washington’s 5th District in Congress for 30 years, died last Friday at 84.
Foley rose higher in Congress than anyone from Washington state. A popular figure and a skilled parliamentarian, Foley nonetheless lost his speakership in the 1994 elections that ushered in Newt Gringrich’s Republican revolution.
- 25,000 Washington residents to lose unemployment benefits this month
- Ed Murray names deputies, other high-profile hires
- Gun-rights groups dominate in money to state’s politicians
- Sen. Patty Murray: Budget deal will restore public trust in Congress
- State Senate majority plans to pick up where it left off last session
About this blog
Trending with readers