Even though it’s August and sunny out, we’re sure you’re all sitting inside and concentrating on your civic duties. After all, today is primary election day. And while many of you have already voted, we’re sure plenty of you haven’t, since turnout in primaries tends to be like 40 percent. So get that ballot and pop it in the mail.
But first, your homework. For anyone who needs to do last-minute research, here’s a roundup of Seattle Times primary coverage.
If you’re in Seattle:
- Proposition 1, which would create a Seattle Park District with taxing authority: a preview of the proposal along with the arguments for and against.
- 43rd Legislative District, where socialist Jess Spear is challenging state House Speaker Rep. Frank Chopp.
- 37th Legislative District, where a six-way race to succeed Sen. Adam Kline includes community activist Pramila Jayapal.
If you’re outside Seattle:
- 31st Legislative District, which includes Auburn and points east, Republican state Sen. Pam Roach faces a challenge from Democratic Rep. Cathy Dahlquist.
- Appointed County Executive John Lovick, a Democrat, faces Republican Carolyn Eslick and Democrat James Robert Deal in the Snohomish County executive race.