July 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM
What buddy movie would you like to see?
Over the weekend, the cop buddy comedy “The Heat” made a strong debut with $40 million, with “The Lone Ranger” (Armie Hammer/Johnny Depp), “R.I.P.D.” (Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds), “2 Guns” (Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg), and doubtless more buddy movies on the way. In honor of “The Heat,” Vulture has made a nifty Random Buddy Movie Generator, which pairs randomly selected stars in a randomly selected plot. The one I got: “This summer, Meryl Streep and Rooney Mara team up as ghosts who must go undercover as high school students. Critics call it, ‘The most violent sex farce I’ve ever seen.’” I’d watch that!
So it got me thinking about a few more possible buddy pairings:
- Helena Bonham Carter and Emily Blunt, as a pair of freelance fashion stylists on the run from a disgruntled client with mob connections . . .
- Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr., as a pair of former superheros now running a convenience store . . .
- Zachary Quinto and Zach Galifianakis, in search of a third guy named Zach who has stolen both of their identities . . .
- Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and their biceps in . . . no, wait, this one’s been done.
- Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith, Vanessa Redgrave and Judi Dench as the members of a women’s book club who find themselves unexpectedly caught up in an international jewel-theft ring . . .
. . . and who would you like to see in a buddy movie?