Oscar night is nigh, and if you know me at all, you know that I’m mostly in it for the outfits, right? Lots of cheery chat going on about Oscar-night fashion; here are a few of my favorites:
- This charming graphic features every dress worn by a Best Actress winner. Love how, for decades, the most popular designer was “Unknown.” And did you know that Sissy Spacey accepted her 1981 award in a jumpsuit? I didn’t.
- Best slideshow of the week: “25 Years of Questionable Hair at the Oscars.” No explanation necessary.
- The New York Times has a fun “Red Carpet Project,” documenting 15 years — and 591 outfits — of Oscar fashion.
- Vanity Fair documents “Their First Oscars” — photos of 10 current nominees on their first trip down the red carpet; including 19-year-old Leonardo DiCaprio, a big-haired-in-the-’90s Sandra Bullock, and evidence that Cate Blanchett was every bit as chic 15 years ago as she is now.
- Here’s a “fashion showdown” between supporting actress nominees Lupita Nyong’o and Jennifer Lawrence — who’ve been wearing surprisingly similar outfits this season (including matching strapless black jumpsuits).
- Vogue names its best-dressed at the Oscars over the past decade — and their slideshow begins with Julianne Moore in green, so all’s right with the world.
Join me on Oscar night — I’ll be live-chatting all the way through, starting with the red carpet at 4:30 p.m., right here at P&P. See you then!
Lupita Nyong’o, on the SAG red carpet — and what will she have in store for the Oscars? (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)