Clearly I have not been paying enough attention to the upcoming live-action “Cinderella” movie, coming from Disney in March. Let me count the ways in which I am now very, very intrigued.
- Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother. I mean, really.
- Helena Bonham Carter as the Fairy Godmother. In a blonde wig! Talking about how the glass slippers are actually comfortable!
- Serious “Downton Abbey” overlap: Lily James (Cousin Rose) as Cinderella; Sophie McShera (Daisy) as one of the wicked stepsisters
- Kenneth Branagh directing
- Glorious-looking costumes from Sandy Powell, who won Oscars for designing “Shakespeare in Love,” “The Aviator,” and “The Young Victoria.”
But don’t take my word for it. Here’s the trailer. Blanchett’s sneer is worth the ticket price alone, surely.