We should get word anytime soon from state Fish and Wildlife about the next planned coastal razor-clam dig scheduled to begin next Friday (Feb. 26).
Last month, fisheries managers saw a spike in Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning, a marine toxin in shellfish, that prompted them to close Long Beach but allowed three other coastal beaches to remain open.
“Everything was below the action level to close beaches in our first test samples we dug, and we should know the final results by (Thursday Feb. 18),” said Dan Ayres, the head state Fish and Wildlife coastal shellfish biologist.
Ayres says the plan is to also add a couple more days of digging at Long Beach next week to make up for the closure last month.
If the test samples are approved, digging will be open Feb. 26 to March 1 at Long Beach and Twin Harbors; Feb. 26-28 at Copalis and Mocrocks; and Feb. 27-28 at Kalaloch.
The dig on Jan. 28-31 drew 21,000 digger trips with 275,600 razor clams for an average of 13 clams per person (the first 15 dug regardless of size or condition is a daily limit).
“We had a pretty good dig, and lots of happy clammers,” Ayres said.
Low tides: Feb. 26, minus-0.7 feet at 4:49 p.m.; Feb. 27, -0.9 at 5:34 p.m.; Feb. 28, -0.8 at 6:16 p.m.; and March 1, -0.1 at 6:57 p.m.