Follow us:

Reel Time Fishing Northwest

Mark Yuasa covers fishing and outdoors in the Pacific Northwest.

May 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Outdoor Life Magazine lists five Washington cities as top sportsmen towns in America

Bend_DSC_0923.jpg

I was going through the May issue of Outdoor Life Magazine and came across an article that listed America’s Top 200 Towns for Sportsmen.

Right then I figured that somewhere on that list should be at least a few towns in Washington. To my surprise there was more than a few so read on!

This is Outdoor Life’s fourth annual ranking of towns that give you the best chance of finding a good-paying job and allow you to live comfortably within your means. They double-weighted three of their socio-economic categories this year to reward towns with low unemployment rates, high household income and low cost of living.

There were a lot of factors they used, and got their stats from the website city-data.com. each town’s quality of life score made up 40 percent of the overall ranking while the other 60 percent was based upon the outdoor score.

And the grand prize winner of America’s top town for a sportsmen went to Bend, Oregon right here in the Pacific Northwest!

Other Pacific Northwest towns in the top-10 ranks were Lewiston, Idaho in the seventh spot and Pendleton, Oregon in the eighth spot. Two Alaska towns were ranked in the top-10 spots at fourth was Kodiak and sixth was Cooper Landing.

The highest spots for Washington went to Moses Lake in the 56th spot; Newport took 93rd; Winthrop placed 99th; Port Angeles came in at 103rd; and Shelton taking the 150th position.

To view a comprehensive list of each town go to Outdoot Life’s website.

(Photo courtesy of gonorthwest.com)

Comments

COMMENTS

No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.



The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►