Cowlitz River – Fall Chinook and coho are being caught throughout the river but from the mouth of the Toutle downstream was generally the most productive area. A few summer run steelhead and sea run cutthroats are also being caught.
During five days of operations at the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery separator, last week Tacoma Power recovered:
- 414 summer-run steelhead
- 19 spring Chinook adults and one jack
- 1,432 fall Chinook adults and 118 jacks
- one chum salmon
- 3,920 coho adults
- 276 coho jacks
- 93 sea-run cutthroat trout
During the past week Tacoma Power employees released:
- 15 spring Chinook adults and one jack; 656 coho adults and 47 jacks into Lake Scanewa
- 737 fall Chinook adults, 81 jacks; 2,010 coho adults, 162 jacks and four cutthroat trout into the Tilton River at Gust Backstrom Park in Morton
- 388 fall Chinook adults and 20 jacks; 139 coho adults and ten jacks at Franklin Bridge in Packwood
- One cutthroat trout was released in the upper Cowlitz River basin
River flows at Mayfield Dam are approximately 4,240 cubic feet per second on Monday, September 29.
Kalama River – Bank anglers on the lower river are mainly catching coho.
Lewis River (including North Fork) – Anglers are primarily catching coho along with some steelhead.
Washougal River – Bank anglers on the lower river are primarily catching fall Chinook.
Drano Lake – Boat anglers did well on fall Chinook plus some coho and steelhead too.
Klickitat River – Bank anglers on the lower river are catching some fall Chinook.
Buoy 10 – Boat anglers averaged better than a coho per rod this past weekend.
Lower Columbia mainstem below Bonneville Dam – Last week we sampled 814 salmonid anglers (including 216 boats) with 207 adult and 31 jack fall Chinook, 40 adult and 2 jack coho and 12 steelhead.
Most of the coho were caught off the mouth of the Cowlitz while fall Chinook were caught from Longview upstream.
Bonneville Pool – Based on limited sampling, fall Chinook are being still being caught at the mouths of the tributaries though some of the fish are beginning to darken. A few coho are also being reported caught but were not found in the sample.
Lower Columbia mainstem below Bonneville Dam – We sampled 2 boats/6 anglers in the Vancouver area with 2 legals released.