Follow us:

Seahawks Blog

The latest news and analysis from all angles on the Seahawks.

October 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

What they said: Michael Robinson

Here is more of what fullback Michael Robinson had to say when he met the media today after it was officially announced that he had re-joined the team:

On if he is glad to be back: “You miss Sundays you really do. I almost became one of you guys (media) you know what I mean? It’s great to be back back in the locker room, back to work, more than anything.”

On when he knew he might be returning to the team: “I kind of figured something, I watched every game, obviously I live in Arizona so I was in Arizona during the game and I watched what happened and I saw what happened to Derrick (Coleman) and my initial reaction was to text him like ‘dude, hit me back, make sure you are all right.’ And then next day got a text from (Seahawks) GM John (Schneider) john asked me how I feel and am I ready to come in.”

On how he feels: “I feel great man. Actually I’ve been normal as far as blood results and all that stuff the last month and a half, so I feel really good other than not playing. But health-wise feeling really, really good. All my energy is back, weight is back, everything is good.”

On how hard it was not playing: “My wife was telling me I started getting real aggressive wrestling with the kids, said ‘go put on a helmet and run into some trees or something.’ I definitely missed it. More than anything just being around the guys, being around the guys in this locker room. We’ve got a lot of great character guys in this locker room and that’s what you miss more than anything.”

On staying in touch with the team: “Most of the team was calling me anyway. Each week I would talk to about 80 percent of the guys, Marshawn (Lynch) we talked every day. It just felt good being back in the locker room. Let’s go get some, yeah.”

On thoughts on what he’s seen watching the Seahawks: “We’ve grown up definitely across the board. We’ve learned how to win on the road and take that excitement and juice that we have at C-Link on the road now and to make the big plays in the clutch to finish games. And obviously we can rush the passer now. That was awesome to see.”

On what he hopes to bring to the team now: “Just to be a part of it. I just want to be a part of it and I’m not trying to come in and do anything spectacular or whatever. I just want to come in and be the aggressive, physical guy that I am and be a part of the team and not try to do anything more.”

On how long he was sick: “About two weeks. It was bad, man, I didn’t realize how bad it was until I was able to look back and reflect on it. We have great doctors at UW — liver specialist, kidney specialist, blood guy. They’ve been in constant contact with me making sure I was okay. Even times when I didn’t communicate back they stayed on me, so I’m grateful for those guys.”

On what happened: “I was taking the prescription drug Indocin, and it’s an anti-inflammatory. Supposed to take it  two times a day and I was taking it as prescribed, but I think I was dehydrated before the game and you can’t take those and be dehydrated, and I think I probably got sick at the same time — they just said it was the perfect storm. I thought I was just getting the flu and come to find out liver, kidneys almost failed. It was pretty bad.”

On his weight: “Got down to 212 back up to 245 now.”

On when it happened: “Bronco game that morning woke up and knew it was different. Kind of felt chills like I was getting the flu. I had mentioned it to the doctors early in the day that I may be coming in this week getting fluids and stuff like that and it just went south from there.”

On if he was in the hospital: “Two separate times. First time I went they didn’t really know what was going on — they just pumped me with fluids and come to find out when I got readmitted a couple of days later I shouldn’t have left the hospital. … (the second time) I stayed a few days, Pete (Carroll) came and stuck his head in there and said ‘what’s up?’ and talked to me.”

On if he was made he was released: “I’m a realist so I understood that I had two pre-season games and that they had drafted a guy and that they were high on Derrick and I knew I needed to be on the field to keep my job. I knew my salary, I knew the business of this game and I knew there was a big chance that I would be let go and I was just hoping and praying for an opportunity that I could come back and come to work.”

On the Seahawks staying in touch with him: “Pete and John did a great job communicating with me. They were very up front when they were cutting me and they said ‘Michael, we know there is going to come a point down the line when you are going to be healthy and we are probably going to need you and if the opportunity presents itself we are probably going to come get you. You are part of the family, you are part of us, you helped us start this thing.’  It just felt really good to know that an organization feels that strongly about you.”

On understanding it’s a business: “You’ve been in this game eight years playing in the NFL, if you think there is loyalty in this game, that’s your fault — it’s a business. You’ve got to understand that and I think  if you had asked me that question 5-6 years ago there would have been some personal (feelings). You just understand it and you move on from it.”

On trying out with Tennessee: “Went to go visit Tennessee was in very, very strong talks with Tennessee and then Jake (Locker) went down and they had to make some other roster moves and they weren’t really thinking about a fullback then.  And actually me and John Conner were on the same visit. And then New York (Giants) called me and I just didn’t like the situation too much up there. …. They went and signed John Connor.”

On being in game shape: “I’ve been working out pretty hard. They told me they are going to watch my reps and see how I do. I am going to use this week to try to really get in my mode and get some extra stuff and see where it goes from there. … Just want to come in and do what I can to help this team continue to win.”

On how long it took to regain the weight: “It took me not long, trust me. It felt good to eat what I want, you know what I mean? But about another two weeks to get normal and really get my weight back and really, really work out and train at a weight and not feel light-headed or not feel any repercussions from it.”

On if the RealRobReport will come back: “I don’t know if have it back. Me and Pete are still talking about that. I don’t want it being a distraction from the team, so we’ll see what happens.”



No personal attacks or insults, no hate speech, no profanity. Please keep the conversation civil and help us moderate this thread by reporting any abuse. See our Commenting FAQ.

The opinions expressed in reader comments are those of the author only, and do not reflect the opinions of The Seattle Times.

The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►