It’s time for a Super Bowl edition of our weekly collection of links, stats and observations from Pro Football Focus:
On the site this week:
– Plenty of quality replacements from both Super Bowl teams made the list on Injury Report: Next Man Up, 2013 In Review.
– Some of the Super Bowl’s interesting numbers are examined in Super Bowl XLVIII Infographic.
– A quartet of quality Seahawks performers get some exposure in Secret Superstars: Super Bowl Preview – Seahawks.
– In 32 Observations, all sorts of different individual matchups for the big game receive some dedicated attention.
– Take a look at the Stock Report to get an idea of who’s been rising and who’s been falling on both teams.
– Our Setting the Edge series offers a view on which team has the advantage in each unit’s matchups: The Third Phase (Special Teams), Seattle Offense vs. Denver Defense, and Denver Offense vs. Seattle Defense.
– PFF’s Analysis Notebook looks at the option and how it could play out in the Super Bowl.
– The Super Bowl Profile series provides depth and analysis on key players and units, including: Marshawn Lynch, Terrance Knighton, Denver’s Wide Receivers, Seattle’s Wide Receivers, Champ and DRC, Brandon Mebane, Peyton Manning, and Richard Sherman.
– Each team is covered again in Analysis Notebook, detailing Where Denver Attacks, and Seattle’s Wide Rush.
PFF Seahawks Stats
– In the postseason, Russell Wilson is just 2-of-12 for 21 yards on Play Action.
– Marshawn Lynch has forced 20 missed tackles on his 50 playoff rushing attempts, and has a league leading 140.4 Elusive Rating.
– Doug Baldwin’s 118.8 WR Rating this postseason ranks 6th among wide receivers. He has caught 8-of-10 targets for 136 yards.
– Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett have combined for 18 total pressures in two playoff games, and are ranked 1st and 2nd among 4-3 DEs in Pass Rush Productivity.
– Byron Maxwell has allowed just two catches for 39 yards across eight targets in the playoffs. Opposing quarterbacks have a 47.4 QB Rating against him. Richard Sherman has yet to allow a catch.
Upcoming Opponent: Denver Broncos
– Peyton Manning has a postseason Accuracy Percentage of 81.6 this year. However, the Broncos have dropped seven passes, more than any other playoff team.
– In 37 carries thus far in the playoffs, Knowshon Moreno has broken just three tackles, gained 1.92 yards after contact, and has a 14.4 Elusive Rating.
– Demaryius Thomas has lit it up this postseason, catching 15-of-20 targets for 188 yards and 2 TDs, good for a 137.1 WR Rating.
– Terrance Knighton’s 17.4 Run Stop Percentage and 10.8 Pass Rushing Productivity in this year’s playoffs rank 2nd and 1st respectively among DTs.
– In a small sample size, nickel corner Tony Carter has given up the most Yards Per Cover Snap (2.29) of any CB in the postseason. While that has come in just 24 cover snaps, Carter also gave up a generous 1.63 Yards Per Cover Snap during the regular season, 18th most out of 111 qualifying corners.