Seahawks tight end Anthony McCoy, who is battling for the backup job this season, injured his Achilles tendon during Tuesday’s practice, according to coach Pete Carroll.
McCoy missed all of last season with an Achilles injury, but Carroll said the “early indications” are that McCoy injured his other Achilles. He was carted off the field during practice after staying down on the field for a few minutes.
“If it is what they think it is, it’s just a real heartbreaker,” Carroll said. “He worked so hard to get back.”
When asked if the injury appeared serious, Carroll said yes.
Here are the other injury updates from Tuesday’s practice:
- Offensive lineman James Carpenter’s calf tightened up during practice and didn’t participate in the team drills on Tuesday.
- Linebacker Bobby Wagner had a hamstring tighten up, Carroll said. He also sat for part of practice.
- Linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis sat out practice because of an oblique injury. “It’s not a serious deal,” Carroll said.
- Wide receiver Kevin Norwood (sore foot) should return to practice on Wednesday or Thursday, Carroll said.
- Linebacker O’Brien Schofield got a rest day on Tuesday and didn’t practice.
- The Seahawks placed wide receiver Taylor Price on injured reserve because Carroll Price just couldn’t get healthy. “He needs some more time to get healthy and get right,” Carroll said. Price has battled a number of injuries the last few years.
Here is some video of Carroll talking after practice today, including his discussion of the injuries:
[do action=”brightcove-video” videoid=”3703419400001″/]