It’s been a whirlwind few days for Seahawks receiver Bryan Walters, who was released in the cutdown to 53 on Saturday and then back on the active roster on Tuesday.
Walters has been through this drill before — he was cut at the same time last year, put on the active roster at mid-season, waived on the day before a game at Atlanta, brought back to the active roster a few weeks later, and then on the 53-man through the Super Bowl.
This time, though, Walters said was “a little different.”
Previous times, Walters said, he’d had a good idea what was ahead. But if the Seahawks had a grand plan this time to bring him back all along, Walters said it was news to him. Walters said the team indicated it wanted him back at some point, either on the practice squad or the 53-man roster. But that was about it.
“All the other ones, you kind of knew ahead of time what was going to happen,” he said. “What they were going to want you to do, what their plan was. And this was just kind of I had no idea where I was going to go. No idea where I was going to end up. And so it was just kind of one thing led to another and I just ended up back here.”
Walters said it wasn’t until Tuesday morning that it worked out for him to come back to the Seahawks.
In the interim, he explored some other options, and said his goal was “to get on the field as quick as I could. So if an opportunity like that came up, it was hard to pass that up. I mean, I honestly had no idea what was going to happen.”
But as he spoke those words Wednesday, he was back in his usual locker, Doug Baldwin on one side, Jermaine Kearse and Percy Harvin on the other.
Thursday night, he figures to be back on the field in some capacity, either as a receiver or a returner, spelling Harvin on kickoffs and Earl Thomas on punt returns.
“I’m just glad to be here,” he said.