December 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Here’s the Pro Football Focus gradebook for Seattle’s win over Arizona Sunday night.
- Left tackle Alvin Bailey with a nice game earning +1.2 pass blocking and +1.4 run blocking grades. RG J.R. Sweezy also with a solid +2.3 run block grade.
- Hurries allowed by lineman: Lewis 3, Sweezy 2, Bailey/Carpenter/Britt 1
- Excluding offensive linemen, Robert Turbin was asked to pass block the most times (5) on only 10 pass plays. The tight end combo of Willson and Helfet combined for seven pass blocks on 37 pass plays.
- Russell Wilson earned his third-highest overall grade in his career with a +5.4 and his +3.4 pass grade was second-highest this year.
- There was a lot made going into this game about how often Arizona blitzes. They blitzed on 23 plays but Wilson got the better of them completing 12 of 20 for 278 yards and a PFF grade of +4.6.
- Over a third of Wilson’s throws traveled over 10 yards in the air (10 of 26).
- Robert Turbin and Christine Michael both with season-highs in carries with Lynch under the weather.
- Including Wilson who had six rush attempts, all rushers had at least 2 missed tackles forced and 19+ yards after contact.
- Target rundown: Doug Baldwin 10, Paul Richardson 6, Cooper Helfet 4, Luke Willson 3
- Aside from Patrick Peterson, the Hawks flew wherever they wanted in the “No Fly Zone”. Cromartie gave up five receptions on six targets, Powers five on five, Foote three on four, and Johnson three of three.
- Michael Bennett with a solid game both against the run (+2.2) and the pass (+2.9). His overall grade would’ve been better except he earned an extremely rare red penalty grade of -1.8.
- QB hurries: Bennett 5, Avril 3, Lane 2, four others with 1
- Bruce Irvin tied personal season-high rushing the passer 34 times. Since Week 12, he’s rushed the passer 123 times to dropping into coverage 45 times.
- Aside from the D-linemen and Irvin, slot CB Jeremy Lane blitzed four times.
- Jeremy Lane led all secondary players with a +3.0 coverage grade only allowing two receptions on six targets (2 passes defensed).
- One might think that Byron Maxwell only giving up two receptions on seven targets for 40 yards would warrant a positive grade. Instead, he had a -1.9 coverage grade.
- Targets as the primary coverage player: Maxwell/Wright 7, Wagner/Lane 6, Sherman 5.
- Ryan Lindley attempted 24 passes over the middle between 0-19 yards, which is why Wagner and Wright had 13 targets between the two of them.
- All this talk about the defense turning things around but so has Jon Ryan. For the second week in a row, he earned a green grade on punts (+2.3). With one week to go in the regular season it’s doubtful he catches Johnny Hekker who leads all punters in rating, but Ryan sits fourth at a very respectable +22.9.
- In the last two weeks, Hauschka and his kickoff coverage team have held the opposition to an average starting field position of 14.3 and 17.7. Both are the best on the season for the Seahawks.
- With the Monday night game to go, Wilson sits sixth this week in PFF QB rating at 104.57.
- In the past few weeks, detailed Hawks fans can see the verticality coming back to the offense. Wilson attempted five throws over 20+ yards in the air resulting in a 16.1% Deep Passing Rate, fourth this week for QBs.
- In 2012, Lindley had a 63.5% Accuracy rate on 184 dropbacks. Last night…45.2%, which also puts him last among QBs this week.
- Beast Mode is truly one of a kind. On only ten rushing attempts, he averaged 9.80 yards after contact and six missed tackles forced. He pretty much broke our PFF Elusive Rating formula earning a 588.0. All three were Week 16 highs for running backs.
Also, here are a bunch of our coverage of the game:
- Brewer: Seahawks look like best in NFL
- Stone: Russell Wilson jump starts a blowout of Arizona
- Seattle smothers Arizona, takes control of NFC West
- Marshawn Lynch’s 79-yard TD run was sick
- Grading the game: High marks for Hawks
- Seahawks 35, Cardinals 6: First Impressions
- Cardinals offer no excuses for heavy defeat
- Postgame Twitter reaction
- Luke Willson has a career day for Seahawks
- Photo gallery
- Game stats
- 12th Fan of the Week: Bill Sperry cheers from South Pole
- Seahawks Pick’em: score predictions
- Where in the world are Hawks fans?