If you heard former UW coach Rick Neuheisel on with Mitch Levy on KJR-AM 950 this morning, you heard him talk about how close he felt Washington was to landing Rodgers for its Class of 2003.
That’s something I actually wrote about the time. Here’s that story, quoting Rodgers as saying there’s a really good chance he would have gone to UW had it not worked out to go to Cal. It did, of course, work out at Cal, with Rodgers committing before Washington really had a chance to get involved.
That was sort of the story of that era of UW football — Reggie Bush is another big-name player who seriously considered UW in that time that went elsewhere.
As for Rodgers, he is a really interesting what-might-have-been for UW. As the linked story notes, UW wanted him to redshirt in 2003 behind Cody Pickett and then take over. But with how good Rodgers turned out to be, who knows what might have happened? That was the year Pickett played through a bum shoulder and didn’t have the type of season he did the first two.
It is, of course, also the year Neuheisel was fired, sending the program into turmoil, which bottomed out with the 1-10 season of 2004 while Rodgers was leading Cal to a 10-2 year.
UW had as unstable of a QB situation that season as you can have with Isaiah Stanback, Casey Paus and Carl Bonnell basically rotating. That wouldn’t have been the case with Rodgers.
How much of a difference would that have made? A fun little thing to think about, I guess, as we wait for kickoff. Certainly, if Rodgers had gone to UW and then had the NFL career he’s had, it would have created a lot of interesting local story lines through the years.
Now for some morning links …
- Hope you check out our special NFC Championship section in today’s Seattle Times. You can find all the stories on-line here but it’s worth grabbing a hard copy for the cover illustration alone if you are local.
- Jayson Jenks caught up with one-time Seahawks QB Brady Quinn to get his thoughts on facing the Legion of Boom.
- I wrote this story for today on the connection between Kam Chancellor and Seahawks legend Kenny Easley.
- Larry Stone wonders why John Schneider isn’t winning any awards.
- SI.com’s Greg Bishop with a typically brilliant story on Earl Thomas.
- Seahawks.com notes Demarcus Dobbs has been here before.
- And Seahawks.com wraps up Thursday in Hawkville.
- Grantland with a really good preview.
- ESPN’s Green Bay blog with its daily batch of links.
- All the coverage from the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
- Bloomberg with an interesting look at how much Vegas money can be impacted by an official’s call.
- NFL.com with some of its “mind-blowing” stats on the two conference title games.
- The Pro Football Focus consensus pick is Seattle.
- SportsonEarth says there are no weak links at QB among the final four teams.
- FoxSports with five things Seattle must do to win the game.
- Boston Globe with a scouting report.