So what will be the earliest home kickoff in CenturyLink Field is less than 24 hours away as I type this.
For those who wonder about the time, it’s simply the rotation of the NFC and AFC time slots dictated by the TV contracts. The NFC next year will have the late Sunday slot, as it had last year. The AFC had the early slot this year so it gets the later one next year. All part of the TV contracts (since the earlier rounds have more games there is room for flexibility, but in the Conference Championship round there isn’t).
Also as I type this, it’s sort of nasty out there in Seattle, with some pretty steady rain.
But that is expected to let up for kickoff with the forecast calling for light rain.
The Seahawks, meanwhile, remain a 7- to 7.5-point favorite. It’ll be interesting to see if that changes at all, as it did last week when the late money came in heavy on Seattle, pushing the line all the way to 13.5 points at some places. Everybody who bet on Seattle won, though, when the Seahawks prevailed 31-17.
As we wait for kickoff, here are a bunch of links to pass the time. …
- Leading off our coverage today is this from Jerry Brewer wondering if this might be Marshawn Lynch’s last home game.
- Jayson Jenks on how the Seahawks use hand signals to combat the noise at CenturyLink.
- I wrote about O’Brien Schofield and B.J. Daniels. Interesting note in the latter story is Daniels acknowledging he had offered from some other teams for spots on the 53-man active roster before Seattle stepped in to up his salary to an active roster rate in late December.
- Seahawks.com with five matchups to watch.
- Seahawks.com says Seattle will match Green Bay’s offense strength vs. strength.
- ESPN on the changes in Green Bay’s run offense and defense since the opener.
- Nice story in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on Pete Carroll with sort of an outside writer’s perspective on how things are a little different in Seattle.
- The Journal-Sentinel with lots of links.
- Here’s all the coverage from the Green Bay Press-Gazettte.
- Some good stuff on the Packers here in an ESPN mailbag.
- Packers.com with some final thoughts.
- Lots of notes and stats on the game.
- NFL.com’s predictions.
- CBSSports.com on the key matchup in the game.
- New York Daily News says the matchup of Seattle’s offense and Green Bay’s defense is a Clash of the Titans.
- And the NYDN breaks down the game.
- USA Today says the Seattle defense has a chance to further cement its legacy.