The Washington State Ferries has announced that for Super Bowl Sunday only, all 24 ferries will be renamed for Seattle Seahawks players. Passengers traveling between Coleman Dock in Seattle and Winslow on Bainbridge Island might be traveling on the M/V Marshawn Lynch or the M/V Jermaine Kearse, instead of the Puyallup or the Tacoma, respectively.
For those looking for the thrill of riding aboard the M/V Russell Wilson, head to the Seattle-Bainbridge run as well — but make sure you time your ride to arrive at your destination before kickoff at 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
In case you were wondering, the smallest ferry in the fleet, the M/V Hiyu, will be called the M/V K.J. Wright — who at 6-4, 246 pounds is not exactly a small guy.
Paper Hawks = endless fun
— Paige Cornwell (@pgcornwell) January 31, 2015
Our gallery of reader Paper Hawks continues to grow. Check it out.
Best trash talk yet from DC
Times Washington reporter Kyung M. Song informs us that our state’s House and Senate delegations have worked out some savory bets with their counterparts in Massachusetts. The press release from the Washington state delegation exudes confidence: “With Seattle’s victory, the Massachusetts House delegation will provide an array of regional treats to Washington members. On Super Bowl Sunday, the Seattle Seahawks will strut into the University of Phoenix Stadium and deflate Tom Brady’s ego.”
Pitting Massachusetts’s finest seafood and brews against Washington’s, Massachusetts Senators Elizabeth Warren and Edward J. Markey and Washington state Senators Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell are also gearing up for Sunday. “We’re ready for an exciting Super Bowl matchup, but Tom Brady and the Patriots won’t have an answer for the Seahawks and the 12th Man. We look forward to celebrating a second Lombardi trophy over some lobster and Sam Adams, courtesy of our friends from Massachusetts,” said Senators Murray and Cantwell.
How to prepare for the game
Comedian and Seattle native Adam Ray has made a fun Super Bowl checklist to help the 12th Man prepare for the big game:
Odds and ends
- Cuteness alert: The Asian small-clawed otters at Seattle’s Woodland Park Zoo huddled to raise the 12 Flag on Friday. See the video.
- And still more cuteness: Penguins from the Cincinnati Zoo unanimously picked the Seahawks to win the Super Bowl. One almost picks the Patriots, then appears to realize what a stupid idea that is and heads for the Hawks gate instead. Watch video.
- Find out about Super Bowl viewing parties in Seattle.
Words of wisdom
Reader board outside Luther Memorial Lutheran Church, North 132nd Street and Greenwood Avenue North in Seattle:
Can’t get enough Fan Buzz? Wait, there’s more!
In case you missed it, the video of Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch and the Patriots’ Rob Gronkowski on “Conan” Thursday night is the funniest thing we’ve seen during Super Bowl season here at the Fan Buzz. But this is your official adult-content warning! More from Thursday’s Seahawks Fan Buzz.
- Bus bashing in honor of Blue Friday
- Full video clip of Marshawn Lynch on “Conan’
- Perseverance inspires school’s ‘Eye of the Tiger’ video
- Legion of Boom on SI cover
- More flashy cleats coming
- Michael Bennett’s ‘Wizard of Oz’ bike ride; Super Bowl weather
- Let’s talk balls; super hero Super Bowl bet
- Could ‘DeflateGate‘ change fan loyalties?
- New bike might make those Packers-fan tears go away