1. Sounders FC is gone to Columbus. I leave tomorrow morning. And no, I won’t be eating sushi there.
2. I like the Blue C Sushi conveyor belt, and their sushi is good, but then again I rarely eat the stuff.
3. BMO Field in Toronto is getting natural grass. The Toronto City Council approved the proposal from the TFC ownership yesterday.
4. I’m more excited about the USL playoffs than the CONCACAF Champions League. Really hard to watch games with all those empty seats. I’m all for a packed house even if its a small venue.
5. I voted for FC Dallas’ Jeff Cunningham for September MLS Player of the Month. Here’s what he did last month:
Seven goals, three assists for the month.
Jeff Cunningham is leading the league in goals after scoring seven goals in the last five games totaling 16 for the season, tied for his career-high for a season. He also also recorded three assists making him the second assist leader on the team. Cunningham now has sole possession of second on the all-time MLS goals list with 120 and sixth on the all-time list of games played with 314, two behind D.C.’s Jaime Moreno. Cunningham’s goal scoring in the month of September has helped the team for a playoff push going 3-1-1 when he scores.
6. A story in the Salt Lake Weekly talks about the Real Salt Lake supporters group La Barra, which is a crazy, passionate and loud group of mostly Latino fans that sit in the south end zone of Rio Tinto Stadium. I saw them at the All-Star Game, and they were awesome, and it goes without saying that I would LOVE to see Sounders FC do some outreach and cultivate a stronger Latino fan base, same for the already established supporters groups. But I digress…the story describes an an incident where a young fan lit an illegal smoke bomb at a game and was pushed to the ground and handcuffed by local police when he refused to leave the stadium. The Barra people were furious and refused to cheer and chant in the second half in protest of the police’s handling of the incident a lack of intercession from RSL on behalf of the group. This led to a meeting between La Barra leaders and team management to ease tensions. Hopefully they worked things out, because La Barra is by far the loudest and most visible group RSL has, to me, anyway.
7. Seattlepi.com (Jim Moore, a pretty funny dude) did a top-10 of Seattle’s sexiest sports personalities and ranked Freddie Ljungberg No. 5 on the male list. Uhhh…no thought on that, I’ll leave the comments to you.