For those interested in keeping one eye on the other teams around the league, I’ve pieced together a little roundup of recent MLS preseason games. Currently, the Chicago Fire and Vancouver Whitecaps are about to kickoff.
- L.A. Galaxy rookie Michael Stephens, drafted this year in the first round out of UCLA, scored twice against his former college team in a 4-1 win.
- FC Dallas’ David Ferreira scored twice and Brek Shea had three assists as FCD beat the University of Tulsa 7-1.
- In a matchup of two MLS teams, an early own-goal was the only tally in a 1-0 win for Columbus over D.C. United.
- In another all-MLS affair, San Jose got a third-minute header from Eduardo and held on for a 1-0 victory against Kansas City.
- Two goals from ex-USL Sounder Maykel Galindo led Chivas USA to a 3-1 win against Irapuato, a Mexican second-division team.
- Another former USL Sounder Cam Weaver found the net twice and Dominic Oduro also had a brace in a 4-0 Houston Dynamo win against Southern Methodist University.
In other league news, it appears as though no MLS or American referees were shortlisted in FIFA’s final 30 for the World Cup. None of you are surprised, I’m sure.
So while it’s easy to criticize the league’s officiating, this might appear to be some empirical evidence to support such claims.
And since you guys have been enjoying the videos, here’s a duo of goalkeeping.
Who doesn’t love scoring ‘keepers? On a free kick, no less!
A highlight that makes you sleep easy, knowing Kasey Keller is in the net.