I saw an interesting story the other day that I wanted to pass along. Turns out in the Seattle-New York game last weekend, Red Bulls general manager Erik Soler was down on the sidelines having conversations with acting coach Richie Williams during the match.
Seems a bit odd to me. Front office mingling with the coaching staff while the game is in play.
Certainly the circumstances were a little different, with head coach Hans Backe not in attendance due to stomach pains. But what do you think of the GM putting his two cents in?
Apparently it’s becoming a trend with New York. I know I might have a tough time writing a story on deadline with my editor reading over my shoulder…
Now on to the links:
- Here’s our story for Tuesday’s paper talking to David Estrada about his debut.
- Another MLS personnel story, Toronto FC has terminated the contract of Ali Gerba.
- Here’s a good roundup of video highlights of MLS week two action.
- Another roundup worth checking out, this of the American soccer lads playing abroad.
- Across the pond, Newcastle has earned promotion back to the Premiership for next season. Also, there’s speculation Wayne Rooney might be back for United’s second leg of a Champions League quarterfinal against Bayern Munich.
- Despite some craziness with white supremacists, South Africa’s government says the World Cup will be safe.
- Lastly, around the world, there might be a player strike in Spain and the Iranian girls team was DQ’d from the Olympics due to a wardrobe issue.
Your videos of the day. A duo of showboating.
1. Here is showboating gone wrong. Penalty kick style.
2. And showboating gone right, courtest of those Soccer AM guys.