Sounders FC had a day off from training Wednesday, so I treated myself to an incredibly entertaining Champions League quarterfinal second-leg between Manchester United and Bayern Munich.
The German side won the first leg 2-1 at home last week. But with the shock inclusion of Wayne Rooney in the lineup, United scored three goals in the first half — two by Nani — to take a seemingly insurmountable 4-2 aggregate lead at Old Trafford.
But Ivica Olic got one back for Bayern before halftime. And then Red Devil’s Rafael was sent off in the 50th minute for his second bookable offense and the visitors went on the attack.
Then came the thunderstrike in the 74th minute from the Dutchman Arjen Robben, that leveled the aggregate score at 4-4, but gave his team the tiebreaker with a valuable second away-goal. Watch the highlights here.
What a match. Bayern plays Lyon, which beat Bordeaux in the all-French quarterfinal, in the semis. Should be good.
On to the links:
- Here’s an interview with the much-loved Blaise Nkufo, who is everyone’s favorite Sounders FC player right now. Even if he’s not due in town for a couple months.
- Lots of stuff on the wire/web. Here are some stories and updates on L.A.’s Edson Buddle, ex-Dallas forward Kenny Cooper and Columbus defender Andy Iro.
- Some other stories on MLS players: Joseph Ngwenya is back in Houston on trial, here you can learn some stuff about Taylor Twellman and did you see Philly’s Toni Stahl could play in a USSF-2 game this weekend.
- Did you see Toronto FC’s Jim Brennan retired and joined the team’s management? Kinda bizarre. Here’s a story that ponders who the new captain will be.
- In league injury news, Columbus’ personnel is dwindling, a K.C. forward tore his ACL and across the pond Clint Dempsey is out for the second leg of Fulham’s Europa League quarterfinal against Wolfsburg.
- Here’s some hilarious sideline reporting in England.
- Some off-the-wall stories around the world: here’s an Arsenal guy that forgot his passport and couldn’t play against Barcelona, here’s another that left his team in the middle of a game and went to a pub, here’s Blanco in a Chivas shirt and, finally, here’s a big chocolate Messi.
The close it out with some videos, a duo of lucky/unlucky.
1. Here’s a penalty kick that was unlucky for the goalkeeper.
2. Here’s a goalkeeper that was lucky a forward didn’t want to score.