Here’s a short Sounders FC story on how the game changes for the team on the road. Since opposing teams are going to push forward in their own stadiums, it actually plays more to Seattle’s advantage and opens things up for the offense.
More space is only a benefit to guys like Freddie Ljungberg, Fredy Montero and Steve Zakuani. It allows Seattle to really go after the win, instead of bunker down into a defensive shell like some teams do on the road playing for the counterattack.
Sounds obvious pushing forward for the win, but it’s not what happens all the time with teams around the league.
Also, interesting notes: Nate Jaqua had surgery Wednesday and is going to be out for a while. And MLS announced it will allow two more players on team rosters, to be filled only by homegrown players from their youth academies.
Let’s get to some links:
- Here’s a great human-interest story with some Sounders FC ties from the team site, here’s another story on Blaise Nkufo and here’s a familiar name writing about Jaqua. Some competition on the beat…? 🙂
- A look at some of the RSL players: Kyle Beckerman, Alvaro Saborio and Jamison Olave.
- Other MLS player stories: an update on Luciano Emilio, Carlos Ruiz might be coming back and Dallas could be getting a new striker.
- Various bits around the league: a Dallas Cowboy sighting at FCD training, D.C. United > Washington Nationals and, finally, Vice President Joe Biden will be at the Philly home opener.
- Here’s a look at some of the U.S. Open Cup early games.
- World Cup games in 3-D? Sounds fancy.
- A Europa League update: both Liverpool and Fulham (sans Clint Dempsey) advance to the semis.
- Lastly, Argentina national team coach Maradona said something about Messi playing a kick-about with Jesus. Try to make sense of that.
Here are some wild videos to close it out.
1. Refs get it tough, it’s a thankless job. This ref, however, got it very tough.
2. Now that is a malicious tackle. No love lost between Chivas and Club America.