Some writers and bloggers are a bit perturbed that the new league website, amid its colossal disappointment (still no stats? really?), is taking on a new role of breaking stories and practicing journalism.
Well kind of. Call it a muddled, fuzzy area of journalism.
The same organization that, in part, has to deal with media relations is actually competing with the media for stories. Seem odd to you?
To me it’s a little weird seeing the official MLS website publishing rumors and talking to anonymous sources. But it has given us some good recent reads, like New York potentially buying a third DP slot and Robert Pires maybe coming to the league.
Personally I haven’t been too affected yet, though I would be a bit concerned if the two previous stories were about the Sounders FC.
But it’s all about the readers. So what do you think of the insider journalism?
Let’s get to some links:
- Here’s the latest roundtable with the Seattle gang, Kasey Keller updated his blog, there’s a wild legend out there about Freddie Ljungberg and, finally, a look at some Heritage Cup posters over at the SSE.
- Real Salt Lake continued its week of late-game drama on the pitch, scoring an equalizing goal in the 118th minute (two minutes before the end of overtime) against San Jose in the U.S. Open Cup. RSL then won a shootout 5-3 to advance. I’m guessing defending champ Seattle wanted to see the Quakes win.
- Manchester City will be coming to the U.S. for a summer tour, but it sounds like they’ll be staying over east. Never say never to a game at Qwest, though. Personally, I would think if the team’s cross-city rival Manchester United comes stateside — for a rumored game against the MLS all-stars — that the Seattle ownership group would do whatever necessary to get the Red Devils up here. But that’s just my opinion.
- More league notes: the Earthquakes signed a super young kid (who played last night), Landon Donovan said Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez deserved a USMNT look and, lastly, TFC’s Julian de Guzman is sick with the flu.
- Did you see England is going to sleep in high-altitude tents for World Cup preparation?
A couple videos for you.
1. Tottenham’s Danny Rose with a super strike in his EPL debut against Arsenal.
2. A little something to pump you up for the World Cup. Oh man, less than two months…