I’m sure a few of you watched the game last night between Toronto FC and the Philadelphia Union, a 2-1 win for the host Reds at BMO Field behind a Dwayne De Rosario brace. I’m also sure a few of you had a good chuckle when Union defender Danny Califf was ejected for a high-flying elbow in the first half.
The battle between arguably two of the league’s worst was fairly competitive and entertaining. Sebastien Le Toux didn’t do much for the visitors, but the assist by Roger Torres on Philly’s lone goal was pretty special. Remember, he’s just 18.
Any thoughts on the game?
Let’s get to the links:
- Here’s our notebook, leading with Patrick Ianni‘s return to fitness. Jose had this Sounders FC story over at SBI and the league site says CSKA Moscow is refuting the Fredy Montero rumors.
- Other MLS notes: the Red Bulls will be getting a player on loan, Shalrie Joseph will miss another game for the Revs and here’s a Joe-Max Moore update.
- SI’s Grant Wahl filed this update on Freddy Adu.
- Did you hear President Obama made a World Cup promise?
- Some soccer notes north of the border: Montreal will be hosting AC Milan later this year, one writer says TFC may lose its appeal if the team doesn’t get better and, finally, a former Tacoma Star is talking Vancouver up.
- Around the world, Wayne Rooney leads the latest PFA nominations, Barcelona won’t rule out a summer bid for Cesc Fabregas and Rafa Benitez will need more money at his disposal to stay at Liverpool.
Some videos, as always, to close it out.
1. You have to see the goal by Cristiano Ronaldo yesterday. Remember him?
2. And what do you think of this for a goal celebration? After a potentially illegal PK no less.