Be sure to check out tomorrow’s newspaper for a cover story on Steve Zakuani, detailing his road from Zaire to England to Akron to Seattle — with a couple bumps in the road along the way.
The story is currently online with some brilliant photos taken by our own Erika Schultz. There is also an online gallery of other snapshots from Zakuani’s past.
Unfortunately, due to space limitations in the paper, I had to leave out a lot of good material out of the print story. Stay tuned on the blog for added entries on Zakuani’s interests outside of soccer, his connection to Africa and his thoughts on potentially playing for the Congolese national team.
Here are some other links:
- In Sounders FC-related news: the team announced two of its three friendlies Wednesday, there was some negative response to scheduling Celtic, Fredy Montero won Goal of the Week for his strike against Dallas, Kasey Keller updated his blog addressing the road trip and, finally, Columbus is hinting that Guillermo Barros Schelotto might not play in Seattle.
- In MLS notes, it was all seemingly about D.C. The team beat Dallas in a U.S. Open Cup match, brought back Luciano Emilio, scheduled an exhibition with Glasgow Rangers and had a player, Santino Quaranta, profiled in this ESPN piece.
- Check out the new FIFA world rankings and also the Superliga schedule for MLS teams.
- In a bit of a Champions League shocker Wednesday, Inter Milan had a great 1-0 loss to Barcelona to advance to the UCL final on a 3-2 aggregate advantage. Coach Jose Mourniho had some great comments afterward, like he always does. The Italian side will face Bayern Munich for the title, after the German side appeals to the Franck Ribery ban.
- Lastly, Usain Bolt talked some World Cup with reporters, Pachuca won the CONCACAF Champions League and the American duo of Eddie Johnson and Freddy Adu (mainly EJ) led Aris to a 2-0 win against Olympiakos.
Some very skillful videos to close this one out.
1. I’ve heard back from a lot of you that love the weekly ‘Showboat’ video. Here you go.
2. Here’s one of the best assists you’ll ever see and should’ve been included in the montage.