With only the final drills available for photos Friday, I took a bunch of pics on the team’s work on corner kicks and free kicks at the end of training until my camera died.
Unfortunately the best stuff was yet to come. A good chunk of the team played a juggling game, where the player that makes a mistake to let the ball drop has to stand in the goal and face a firing squad of his teammates. The guys then rip shots from the top of the penalty box at the helpless target.
It gave me flashbacks to the days of playing that same game with the boys on the Bellingham High School varsity team.
Nathan Sturgis and Patrick Ianni took some notably tough hits that surely left a mark. Man, some of those guys showed no mercy. In the end, it was all good fun and one of the more light-hearted moments in training this season. Too bad my camera wasn’t able to catch it.
* * *
1. Steve Zakuani rises high for a header.
2. Patrick Ianni awaits a cross. Little does he know the punishment that would be in store later.
3. More pre-kick waiting. Jhon Kennedy Hurtado was a beast in the air, for what it’s worth.
4. Kinda blurry here as I focused on the flag, but Leo Gonzalez took a shot to the body via Tyson Wahl. It was a defensive effort that drew him cheers from teammates.
5. Gotta love the Tyrone Marshall celebration on the far right. He loves the finishing drills.