Skies were again gray at Sounders FC training, fortunately it stayed dry this time. Bad news came early when a recurring knee injury sidelined midfielder Brad Evans. It’s an issue he’s had for years, where he knee locks up, but it’s not too serious. Coach Sigi Schmid said Evans will likely get surgery after the season to fix it for good.
Also inactive today: Osvaldo Alonso got the day off to rest his injured quad after pushing it hard on Sunday. The injured Michael Fucito (without a brace) and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado (with a single crutch) were also around.
Drills were much the same. Here are the snapshots I got:
* * *
1. Freddie Ljungberg’s mohawk is still there as seen in some scrimmage work. The Swede also said he got a 103-degree after team vaccinations for the CCL match.
2. Hurtado strolls into practice. Still appears to have a positive outlook, but will the defense be able to make up for his absence for the rest of this long season…?
3. Many teammates have had interesting hair-styles (Ljungerg, Zakuani, Montero). Miguel Montano has unveiled a bit of a new look recently.
4. The inactive guys sat on the side and were chatting it up on the bench.
5. Nate Jaqua back in full training. Schmid said his fitness is there, his touch is improving and could very well make the trip to Philly and come off the bench.
6. Goalkeepers were working on their touch with the ball at their feet in this drill.