Brazil (2-0-0, 6 pts.) — So I picked Brazil as my ‘overrated’ team before the tournament. Doesn’t look like a smart pick so far. D Lucio and GK Julio Cesar are certainly among the world’s best at their positions.
Portugal (1-0-1, 4 pts.) — Looked pathetic in a scoreless opener, but had one of the most lopsided results in W.C. history in pounding the Asian side 7-0. The team will only go as far as Ronaldo leads ’em.
Ivory Coast (0-1-1, 1 pt.) — Another disappointing showing from an African team. The Drogba knock surely had an effect, but this team had the depth of talent to perform better than this. It’s too bad.
North Korea (0-2-0, 0 pts.) — Have shown bits of a very decent side in both games, even in the drubbing, but especially against Brazil. Maybe could have made a splash in another group, not this one however.
What stands out so far
1. Portugal pours it on — It’s not very often you see a team win by seven goals — at any level. Talk about goal differential for Carlos Queiroz’s team.
2. Brazil looks the part — Dunga has his side playing more defensive than most previous versions of the Selecao, but they’re probably the favorite to win the whole thing now.
3. What happened CIV? — This was supposed to be the strongest African side in recent memory. The defense in particular has been very bad. What’s the deal Sven?
1. D Lucio, Brazil
2. M Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal
3. D Maicon/M Kaka/F Robinho/F Luis Fabiano/M Elano, Brazil
The Group of Death, this was supposed to be. Ivory Coast’s struggles took all the drama out of it. Most people were looking forward to these group-stage games more than any other, but it hasn’t lived up to the hype (just flops and bad calls). Brazil is looking super sharp, however, and Portugal looks like it could make a deep run.