It was a sunny and busy day at the Starfire Sports Complex today. Usually the place gets crowded on the weekends with youth soccer being played on the outlying fields.
Lots of scrimmaging and situational drills from the guys in green, followed by a finishing drill at the end. Big news of the day was Freddie Ljungberg’s ankle injury, which will keep him out of Sunday’s game. Brad Evans and Michael Fucito were each working hard on the side and could get involved in training later in the month.
Other big news came on the Blaise Nkufo front. The Swiss striker is expected to join the team in D.C. on July 13, a couple days before the Thursday match. He will have to train on the side until the 15th, but will be eligible to play against D.C. United upon the arrival of his international clearance.
Anyways, here are the shots:
* * *
1. I tried to keep up with Miguel Montano, racing down the left side. Not an easy task.
2. Chris Eylander leaps after a shot that goes well over the bar.
3. The group of forwards takes some time to soak in some rays.
4. Here’s GK coach Tommy Dutra with his guys.
5. Michael Fucito cracks a smile along his road to recovery.