The Freddie Ljungberg situation took precedence at practice today, but be assured the team did have a healthy training session. There were a couple new faces in camp, some college-player invitees: Andy Rose, a midfielder from UCLA, and Jalil Anibaba, a defender from North Carolina, formerly of Santa Clara. I’ve been told they’re not trying out.
Training actually went quite a bit longer than usual as the team did a number of drills — some scrimmaging, some fitness work and other assorted activities. There were also a handful of guests present, including Arlo White and the fam.
Nate Jaqua, Brad Evans and Michael Fucito were all limited in training. Kasey Keller did 30-45 minutes of work before taking it easy. Tyrone Marshall was also on the side. Jhon Kennedy Hurtado looks to be a good way down the road to recovery and is making progress every time we see him.
Let’s get to some of the shots:
* * *
1. Here’s a group huddle-up before training. Jalil Anibaba is in the middle next to Blaise Nkufo and Andy Rose is the tall, blonde to the right.
2. There’s Jeff Parke. He’s appeared to have macromade himself a pair of shorts.
3. Here’s new DP — soon to be the only DP? — on the roster, Blaise Nkufo, with the kick.
4. Patrick Ianni takes a swing as the team separates into three groups: yellow, orange, blue.
5. The out-manned James Riley takes on three opponents here in a spirited scrimmage.
6. Injured centerbacks Tyrone Marshall and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado take a breather.
7. Chris Eylander rejoined the GKs Tuesday. Bet he wishes he was in town for Celtic.