With Wednesday’s U.S. Open Cup semifinal to be played at Starfire, the team practiced in the stadium this morning/afternoon. Surprisingly it was in front of a crowd of about 2,000. Unbeknown to us reporters, it was Camper Appreciation Day and all the kids that participated in the team’s youth camps were invited to come watch training and get some autographs afterward. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.
There were a handful of notes throughout the day. First off, Sanna Nyassi wasn’t around as he’s been called up by the Gambian national team for an African Cup of Nations qualifier against Namibia on Saturday. Secondly, Fredy Montero was named MLS Player of the Week for his two-goal effort against Chicago. Lastly the team announced the USOC semifinal has been sold out.
In front of the crowd, Sounders FC did some scrimmaging and finishing work. Also, as is usually the case around an Open Cup match, they had some penalty-kick practice at the end.
Oh yeah, it’s Mike Seamon’s 22nd birthday today. Let’s get to the shots:
* * *
1. Here’s a look at the crowd. Made it almost like a gameday atmosphere at times.
2. Goalkeeper Terry Boss makes a highlight-reel save here on a finishing drill.
3. Boss, still catching his breath from the earlier save, wasn’t quite ready for this one.
4. While taking some shots, the jogging Jhon Kennedy Hurtado jumped into the frame.
5. Another look at the group of finishers. Will they get an elusive goal against Chivas USA?
6. Steve Zakuani appears to be over the pelvic strain that had been bothering him.