Practices the day before CCL games are closed until the final few minutes, so this report will be a bit limited. Pat Noonan was not around as he’s getting surgery today in Colorado to repair a hip injury. Apparently MRIs have been inconclusive, but he could be suffering from a torn labrum, similar to what Freddie Ljungberg had before Year One.
Other than that there wasn’t much to report. In the drill closest to reporters, a handful of players were taking free kicks from about 25 yards out. Fredy Montero, Nathan Sturgis, Mike Seamon and Mike Fucito were the main four — and they all looked especially good taking shots on target. The rookie Seamon was holding his own and might’ve been the most impressive on the day.
Tonight the Sounders will be anxious spectators in the CCL Group C game. If Saprissa earns at least a point against Monterrey then Seattle is officially eliminated for the competition. Sigi Schmid said his starting lineup probably won’t change either way, depending on tonight’s result, but the reserves might. Read into that as you like.
Anyways, let’s get to the shots:
* * *
1. The view reporters had on the set-piece work at the end. I’d say they all looked pretty good.
2. A lethal combo, Nkufo and Zakuani were doing some work at the end with each other.
3. Montero curls a shot in. It was interesting to see the different trajectories for the different guys.
4. Here’s the scene at the end of training. Guys off in separate groups doing their own thing.
5. Schmid was coaching up the free kicks from behind the goal. Even got pegged a few times.