There was an unexpected visitor in camp today: Mariners shortstop Jack Wilson. Despite being injured with a broken bone in his hand, Wilson was decked out in Sounders gear and took a couple shots on goal at the end of the training. Looked pretty good if you ask me (though he played in high school at a high level before committing to baseball).
There was no MLS pool goalkeeper around but the team confirmed Kevin Guppy will be Kasey Keller’s backup for Saturday’s match against Toronto. Guppy has been with Chivas USA for much of the year. Terry Boss is expected to be back from int’l duty for Tuesday’s Open Cup final.
As is typical the day before a game, pictures weren’t allowed until the end. The team did some scrimmage work, practiced some set pieces and did some other drills. One of the highlights was watching Jhon Kennedy Hurtado’s little son run around and mingle with the media folk. Cute kid.
Here are some shots:
* * *
1. Jack Wilson here gets some tips from Sigi Schmid while taking some shots on goal.
2. More set-piece practice for some of the guys today.
3. Clearly the yellow dummies took a beating.
4. Steve Zakuani and Blaise Nkufo did some finishing drills on the side.
5. This calm-looking guy happens to be one of the most feared midfielders in MLS.
6. Last bit of training before the game. A Sounders win could KO another playoff contender.