Welcome home! Sounders FC held its first practice of 2011 at Qwest Field on Monday. The team’s first game in the friendly confines comes in Wednesday’s Community Shield match against the Colorado Rapids at 7 p.m.
The training camp roster was much the same, but a handful of guys weren’t able to train. The injured Mike Fucito and Mike Seamon watched much of the action from the bench. Tyson Wahl was also training gingerly on the side and didn’t participate much. He wouldn’t likely have anyways, as the rest of the starters from Sunday’s match had a light regeneration day.
Someone I expected to be around, but wasn’t, was Pat Noonan. Apparently the veteran forward/midfielder suffered a foot injury over the weekend and like Fucito was scheduled to have an MRI on Monday.
The regulars did some fitness work early in the session with Dave Tenney and then some possession drills. Later there was some small-side, small-field scrimmaging and some finishing at the end. Guys that stood out to me were Nate Jaqua, Mauro Rosales (he’s really shown well, I think) and Steve Zakuani. At one point Ozzie Alonso scored a nice goal and screamed “Golazo!”
Here are some pics:
* * *
1. My first non-Seahawks related view of Qwest. Can’t say the turf looked very nice.
2. Time to stretch. Unfortunately, the list of injured players is growing these days.
3. The forwards begin to gather for a finishing drill. Montano and Nkufo looked good.
4. Here are some of the starters from Sunday jogging to the side.
5. Back to the forwards. I’ll put the over/under at 1.5 goals Wednesday. What you got?