NOTE: There were only two games over the weekend, so not a lot of movement or news in this week’s edition of the rankings..
* * *
1. (1) Los Angeles Galaxy 14-3-10, 52 pts.
Surrendered two very valuable points on a late PK in Monday’s road game in K.C.
2. (2) Seattle Sounders FC 13-5-9, 48 pts.
Seeking a sixth straight win this weekend and could even pull a point from first place.
3. (3) FC Dallas 13-7-7, 46 pts.
The death of Bobby Rhine, a 10-year veteran turned broadcaster, at age 35 was felt around MLS.
4. (4) Real Salt Lake 12-7-6, 42 pts.
The next test for the league’s best defense? The top three offenses: Seattle, K.C. and New York.
5. (5) Columbus Crew 11-8-7, 40 pts.
Six goals allowed to the Sounders and a four-goal defeat each tied worsts in franchise history.
6. (6) Colorado Rapids 10-7-11, 41 pts.
Drew Moor has played every minute since Aug. 6, 2009, but is suspended this weekend.
7. (7) Sporting Kansas City 9-8-10, 37 pts.
Six of the team’s last 10 games have featured a result-changing goal in the 89th minute or later.
8. (9) Houston Dynamo 8-8-11, 35 pts.
Beat Mexico’s Monterrey 3-0 in an unfriendly exhibition that saw three players receive red cards.
9. (10) Portland Timbers FC 9-12-5, 32 pts.
Young franchise is seeking its first three-game winning streak in Philadelphia on Saturday.
10. (8) Philadelphia Union 8-7-10, 34 pts.
An injury to starting GK Faryd Mondragon will throw rookie Zac MacMath into the spotlight.
11. (11) D.C. United 7-7-10, 31 pts.
A 1-0 loss in K.C. snapped a seven-game unbeaten streak (3-0-4) on the road since Apr. 29.
12. (12) Chivas USA 7-10-10, 31 pts.
Struggling side hosts D.C. in a huge match for two teams fighting to get into the playoffs.
13. (13) New York Red Bulls 6-6-14, 32 pts.
Thierry Henry could become the first European-born player to win an MLS scoring title.
14. (14) Chicago Fire 4-7-15, 27 pts.
Eight points out of the last four games (incl. back-to-back wins) are second-best to Seattle’s 10.
15. (15) New England Revolution 4-11-11, 23 pts.
Has allowed a game-tying goal after the 86th min. on three occasions since July 23.
16. (16) Toronto FC 4-12-12, 24 pts.
Travels to Columbus this weekend and has never beaten the Crew in 12 all-time meetings.
17. (17) Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4-13-9, 21 pts.
The only team in the West that’s winless on the road gets tough trips to New York and L.A. next.
18. (18) San Jose Earthquakes 5-10-11, 26 pts.
Even with Chris Wondolowski finally scoring again, the club-record winless streak is at 13.
* * *
Your turn. Which team do you think is overrated? Who’s underrated?