On the heels of Thursday’s endurance test, the Sounders held their annual preseason speed test this morning at the VMAC. Times were taken at 10 meters and 30 meters; like yesterday, it appears the goalkeeper did not participate.
I don’t have all the information and times are official, but here are the top five in the 30-meter dash. Your winner is pictured above.
1. Darwin Jones, trialist forward (Sounders FC Academy alum)
2. Cordell Cato, forward/midfielder (19-year-old Trinidadian also did well in the beep test)
3. Abdul Aman, forward (drafted out of the UW the Supplemental Draft)
4. Mike Fucito, forward (I believe he had the fastest time in 2010)
5. Christian Sivebaek, midfielder (impressive considering he’s 6 foot 3)
Afterward, coach Sigi Schmid was asked about his impressions.
“Again it’s just a measure,” he said. “Running with the ball and running without the ball are two different things. Some guys are very fast with the ball. Some guys are fast without the ball and very slow with the ball. But it gives you an idea of where guys fall in the rank order and how they compare to each other. And also for the guys who have been here now, we see if there’s some progression, whether there’s some improvement in terms of their explosion, their quickness, based upon some of the work that’s been done with them by (fitness coach) Dave Tenney.”