1. (1) San Jose Earthquakes 19-6-7
Already clinched a 2013-14 CCL berth and could lock up the Supporters’ Shield next.
2. (2) Sporting Kansas City 17-7-8
Will miss Roger Espinoza for 2-4 weeks as the midfielder recovers from an ankle sprain.
3. (5) Real Salt Lake 17-11-4
Road win in L.A. has the team closing on a coveted top-three seed in the Western Conf. playoffs.
4. (7) Seattle Sounders FC 14-7-10
Defense produced shutouts in consecutive weeks versus rivals Vancouver and Portland.
5. (3) Chicago Fire 17-10-5
Became the second team in the East to lock up a playoff spot with a 2-0 road win in New York.
6. (4) New York Red Bulls 15-9-8
Can they overcome the stunning midseason removal of GM Erik Soler and make the playoffs?
7. (6) Los Angeles Galaxy 15-12-5
A knee injury to Landon Donovan will keep him out of World Cup qualifiers this month.
8. (9) D.C. United 16-10-6
No team has been better than Ben Olsen’s in the past five games, with four wins and a tie.
9. (8) Houston Dynamo 13-8-11
Second-year forward Will Bruin is up to 12 goals, tied for 10th-best in MLS.
10. (11) Columbus Crew 14-11-7
GK Andy Gruenebaum, a former supplemental draft pick, leads the league with 117 saves.
11. (13) Vancouver Whitecaps FC 11-12-9
Can clinch the final playoff spot in the West with a win next weekend or a Dallas loss.
12. (10) FC Dallas 9-12-11
Blew a lead to lowly Chivas USA, which was a devastating blow to its postseason hopes.
13. (12) Montreal Impact 12-15-5
Ex-Sounder Sanna Nyassi scored his sixth goal, a new career high, in a 1-1 tie vs. Houston.
14. (16) Philadelphia Union 10-15-6
Three wins in four games has the team .500 since a midseason coaching change (8-8-4).
15. (14) Colorado Rapids 9-19-4
Eight goals from Omar Cummings and Conor Casey in 44 combined games isn’t nearly enough.
16. (15) Portland Timbers FC 7-16-9
Will get one last chance to clinch the Cascadia Cup, but needs a win in Vancouver on Oct. 21.
17. (17) New England Revolution 7-17-8
There are rumblings of potential moving games to a new venue. Would that provide a spark?
18. (18) Chivas USA 7-17-8
22 goals are 10 fewer than the next worst team (Portland), five fewer than SJ’s Wondolowski.
19. (19) Toronto FC 5-20-7
Hasn’t won a game since July 18. It’s just about time to start scouting for that No. 1 draft pick.