U.S. men’s national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann released his 30-man preliminary World Cup roster on Monday, and the group includes the Sounders FC trio of Clint Dempsey (the USMNT captain), Brad Evans and DeAndre Yedlin.
The group begins training camp Wednesday in Palo Alto, Calif.
The full roster is posted below and the roster must be cut down to 23 by June 2. One glaring omission is ex-Sounder Eddie Johnson, who had broken back into the national team in Seattle but currently has no goals with D.C. United.
“First of all, we want to thank all of the players who have been a part of the process these last three years,” said Klinsmann in a news release. “It’s been an incredible journey, and everyone has worked tremendously hard. We had some difficult decisions to make, and we are very excited about the 30 players coming into camp. There is competition in every position, and these next couple of weeks will allow us to make the final determinations on the best 23-man unit to represent the United States in the World Cup.”
The games leading in will be May 27 vs. Azerbaijan (in San Francisco), June 1 vs. Turkey (in Harrison, N.J.) and June 7 vs. Nigeria (in Jacksonville).
* * *
GOALKEEPERS (3) :Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (11) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS (10) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
* * *
ROSTER NOTES (via U.S. Soccer)
- Nine top-flight leagues are represented on the preliminary roster: USA’s MLS (15), England’s Premier League (4), Germany’s Bundesliga (4), Mexico’s Liga MX (2), Austria’s Bundesliga (1), France’s Ligue 1 (1), Netherlands’ Eredivisie (1), Norway’s Tippeligaen (1) and Turkey’s Super Lig (1).
- A total of 24 clubs contribute players to the camp. The Seattle Sounders send three players to Stanford, while the LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes and Sporting Kansas City have two apiece.
- A total of 10 players were also on the preliminary roster for the 2010 FIFA World Cup: Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Maurice Edu, Clarence Goodson, Brad Guzan and Tim Howard. Bedoya is the only player who did not make the trip to South Africa.
- Beasley and Donovan have each appeared on three World Cup rosters. Dempsey and Howard have two each, while Altidore, Bradley, Edu, Goodson and Guzan all made their debut in 2010 in South Africa.
- Three players on the roster (Beasley, Dempsey and Donovan), have more than 100 caps, while Tim Howard is set to become the 15th player in MNT history to play in 100 games.
- At the other end of the spectrum, five players have 10 caps or less: John Brooks, Timmy Chandler, Julian Green, Aron Johannsson and DeAndre Yedlin.
- A total of 25 players on the preliminary roster appeared in at least one FIFA World Cup qualifier in the 2014 cycle. The five who did not are Brooks, Green, Nick Rimando, Chris Wondolowski and Yedlin.
— Brad Evans (@brad_evans3) May 12, 2014