In 2011, Seattle Times photographers and videographers captured the screaming of the Blue Angels and first flights of the Boeing Dreamliner, slipped underwater to see salmon swim in the Elwha River and traveled far and wide to create videos for seattletimes.com. If you missed any of these videos or would like to view them once more, here are some of our favorites from 2011.
1. Removing the dams, restoring a river. As a part of a special report on the removal of the Elwha River Dams, photographer Steve Ringman hiked with scientists and dived into streams in order to document the hard work of scientific field work. In doing so, he gathered amazing video of fish swimming by and the environment that will be forever changed by the dam removals.
2. Blue Angels practice over Lake Washington | Seafair 2011. Three videographers worked together to capture the scenes of the Blue Angels taking off from Boeing Field and practicing over Lake Washington.
3. Live performance | Damien Jurado performs “So On, Nevada”. This year, we started using the old Seattle Times press room to host live concerts, and have hosted great performances from Justin Deary of Whalebones, Trucksauras, Dude York and Damien Jurado. This video is one of our favorites, Damien Jurado performing “So On, Nevada.” For more songs from his performance, check out this post on the Matson on Music blog.
4. Occupy Seattle protesters arrested, tents cleared from Westlake Park. Seattle police swept through Westlake Park on Oct. 5, 2011, making 25 arrests as they clashed with protesters and hauled away tents set up by the Occupy Seattle movement. Read more about this incident: Occupy Seattle dwindles Thursday after arrests.
5. Mount Rainier Gondola opens at Crystal Mountain. Costing millions and beset with delays, the gondola at Crystal Mountain – the only gondola in a Washington state ski resort – opened New Year’s Day this year to delighted skiers. Ken Lambert rode on one of the first public trips on the gondola, and captured these amazing views from its windows.
6. International Pillow Fight Day in Seattle. When hundreds of participants gathered under the Space Needle for International Pillow Fight Day, Erika Schultz got into the fray to make this video. You can also check out these photos from Alan Berner: International Pillow Fight Day photo gallery.
7. Seattle and Portland’s soccer rivalry. The soccer rivalry between Seattle and Portland runs deep, as these fans explain during the Sounders’ match against the Timbers on May 14.
8. First 787 Dreamliner delivered to ANA takes off. This video, shot during the first delivery of a 787 Dreamliner to All Nippon Airlines (ANA) on Sept. 27, contains some beautiful views of Boeing’s new passenger plane. Read more: Boeing celebrates 787 delivery as program’s costs top $32 billion
9. Competing in the Opening Day Regatta. Take a first-person look from the coxswain’s perspective as a crew rows through the Montlake Cut during the Opening Day Regatta on May 7. Read more: Huskies crews cruise in Windermere Cup or check out these photos: The Windermere Cup | May 7, 2011 photo gallery.
10. Mutton bustin’ at the 2011 Puyallup Fair. If you’re older than 6, you’ve missed your chance to go mutton bustin’ at the Puyallup Fair. Check out these kids who were brave enough to ride a sheep in the competition, trying to hold on for at least six seconds for a chance to attend the world championships.