March 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Boy who allegedly brought gun to school pleads not guilty
A 14-year-old boy who allegedly brought a handgun to his Renton-area middle school on Monday pleaded not guilty today to a charge of second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm in King County Juvenile Court.
The youth, who is not being named because he has been charged as a juvenile, is accused of pulling out a gun while at Northwood Middle School, which is in the Kent School District. He allegedly showed the gun to another student and was overheard talking about the firearm, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office.
When deputies showed up, they escorted the boy from his classroom and found the unloaded gun in his jacket, sheriff’s spokeswoman Sgt. Cindi West said. West said that the boy had no ammunition on him.
She also said that the serial number on the gun had been removed.
The boy was also wanted on an arrest warrant on charges of residential burglary and fourth-degree assault. The boy is alleged to have broken into an Auburn home on Oct. 25, 2009 and then struck a female neighbor who interrupted the burglary.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers