Weather: Lots of sunshine this weekend with highs today in the mid- to upper-70s. NWS Meteorologist Gary Schneider says that would be 10 to 15 degrees above normal. Could you ask for better weather this Mother’s Day weekend? The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: The Mercer Street ramps to I-5 are closed through the weekend and will reopen at 5 a.m. Monday. Tonight, some lanes on southbound I-405 will be closed to repair a Kirkland pedestrian bridge. The map and cams.
Will this stink to high heaven? Four neighborhoods are part of a pilot study to test twice-monthly garbage pickup instead of weekly pickup. If successful, the switch to fewer trash pickups citywide could save $6.4 million a year in operations and reduce carbon emissions.
PhinneyWood ArtWalk crash: A stolen car fleeing from Seattle police near Green Lake hit a pedestrian, two police cars and another car. The pedestrian was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. The suspect was later apprehended after jumping out of the car and fleeing, but officers were able to outrun him.
Cruising at high altitude: A Seattle Times reporter and photographer boarded a 787 Dreamliner for a three-hour promotional flight Friday, documenting the trip on camera.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- Classmates recall Romney’s pranks — and darker incidents
- Facebook co-founder Saverin gives up U.S. citizenship before IPO
- Obituary: Jack Benaroya, 90, was a prolific developer and quiet philanthropist
- Fun Friday: Siri says Lumia 900 Windows Phone is best smartphone | Microsoft Pri0
- Mayan discovery shows world won’t end this year after all