The Associated Press
A 5-year-old girl was stung by a jellyfish while playing in the water at a Puget Sound beach in Edmonds near the ferry terminal.
Firefighters treated the resulting rash Thursday with warm water and vinegar, and the girl did not have to be taken to a hospital, according to Snohomish County Fire District 1spokeswoman Leslie Hynes .
The Daily Herald reports Edmonds beach rangers believe the girl was stung by a lion’s mane jellyfish. Sally Lider with the city’s parks department says jellyfish typically start to wash ashore in midsummer. She says, “You can get stung even if the jellyfish has died.”