The Associated Press
A federal judge says investigators followed proper procedures when they obtained a secret warrant against a Seattle terror suspect.
Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif is charged with plotting to attack a military recruiting station last year. His lawyers asked U.S. District Judge James Robart to throw out some of the evidence against him, saying the government should not have been able to obtain any warrants under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act because there was no indication he was involved in international terrorism.
Robart refused. After reviewing classified materials submitted by the government, he said in a ruling last week that investigators did have reason to believe they were collecting “foreign intelligence information” and they presented such information to the special court that handles FISA warrants.
Abdul-Latif’s trial is set for next March.
Federal prosecutors allege Abdul-Latif is a felon and “self-radicalized” Muslim who recruited another man from Los Angeles, Walli Mujahidh to attack the military-processing station on East Marginal Way South on July 5, 2011. They were arrested a couple of weeks before that after the informant led them to a warehouse where they were to obtain the weapons to be used in the attack.