Weather: It’s been a while since skies were this gray. Expect some drizzle before 11 a.m., with a chance of showers later today. Temperatures are still in the 60s, but boy, it looks like fall has arrived on time. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: The end of summer doesn’t yet mean an end to construction. Drivers should expect multiple closures this weekend. Here are a few of the big ones:
• Highway 520 is closed until 5 a.m. Monday
• Mercer Street and its I-5 ramps are closed until 5 a.m. Monday
• Aurora Avenue North is closed at North 85th Street until 6 a.m. Monday
(For a full list, click here.)
Trooper’s car rammed by aggressive driver: A motorist was arrested after he repeatedly rammed a Washington State Patrol trooper’s car early Saturday morning in Tacoma, KOMO News reports. The trooper had signaled for the driver to pull over after clocking him at speeds of more than 100 miles an hour. The driver, who initially did not pull over, began ramming the trooper’s vehicle with his car. According to KOMO’s story, the trooper fired three shots at the driver, hitting him in the wrist, before the driver took off again. He was later arrested by the same trooper.
More wildfires in the forecast: There’s no relief in sight for firefighters battling blazes in Central Washington. A lightning storm forecast threatens to ignite more blazes without bringing any rain. The storm likely won’t bring winds strong enough to clear up the thick smoke that has settled into Wenatchee Valley. We’ll be keeping an eye on the fires this weekend, and will post updates as we have them.
Fremont Oktoberfest: Just writing the word “Oktoberfest” at 9 a.m. makes me feel a bit queasy to think of beer so early in the morning. Luckily, Fremont Oktoberfest doesn’t open until 11 a.m. this weekend, leaving plenty of time to eat your eggs and drink your coffee before sampling beers.
The brewery lineup includes more than a few locals: Elysian, Emerald City Beer, Hale’s Ales, Georgetown, and the hyperlocal haunt, the Fremont Brewing Co.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- 3 off-duty Bellevue cops tossed from Hawks stadium for behavior
- Onetime teen prodigy arrested in slaying of popular wine steward
- 16-year-old girl arrested in SeaTac slaying
- Hotel doorman shot after robbery; witnesses tackle gunman
- Seahawks’ Matt Flynn keeps cool despite not getting to start against his former team