September 27, 2012 at 6:58 AM
Morning Memo/Thursday: Zombie bee love … Copper robbers … Outing ‘snitches’
Weather: Ah … in the low 70s today and tomorrow. Temperatures do drop to the low 60s this weekend, and oh, no, drizzle next Tuesday? And look at the high temperatures Tuesday and Wednesday: 58 and 46 respectively. Say it ain’t so! Well, it is fall, dang it. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: The map and cams.
A lot of copper: No, not a big police officer. There have been 44 copper wire thefts reported in the Spokane Valley and unincorporated Spokane County since July, valued at some $100,000.
But speaking of coppers: This time we are talking about law enforcement, sorta. There’s a Facebook page in Tacoma that focuses on “snitches”, and the authorities are monitoring it, according to a KOMO-TV story. However, it’s not to catch anyone. The page’s “About” page says, “If you know of any snitches, put them on here.” The concern, says Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist, is to keep an eye on anyone making threats against others that might lead to retaliation, according to the KOMO story.
Those zombie bees: It’s clear that many of you can’t get enough of the zombie bees story. Hey, they’re bee zombies, not “Night of the Living Dead” zombies. The story has been in the top 10 most-read stories on seattletimes.com for days now.
College student debt: If you’re a student or the parent of a student in college, you certainly know what this is all about, but you might want to read it anyway. Student debt stretches to record 1 in 5 households
High bail set for attorney arrested in rape of massage therapists: Bail for Seattle attorney Danford “Dan” Grant was set at $3 million. He’s accused of raping three massage therapists, one of them twice. His attorney asked that bail be set at $150,000. Formal charges are expected today.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- Dissecting the Seahawks-Packers final play
- End of Seattle’s free-ride zone to hit poorest of the poor hardest
- NFL’s hypocrisy proves integrity of game isn’t its motive | Steve Kelley
- First-degree murder charged in shooting of Seattle wine steward
- Presented without editorial comment: Golden Tate’s feet touch down | Seahawks Blog
- Seahawks’ Golden Tate upbeat despite “some nasty stuff” vented his way
- State’s first case of ‘zombie bees’ reported in Kent
- ‘The worst movie I’ve ever seen’ | Popcorn & Prejudice: A Movie Blog
- NFL reaches tentative agreement with refs
- Bellevue chief says allegations overshadow police’s good work
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers