A 53-year-old patient at Western State Hospital died Saturday, two days after choking on food.
Western State employees performed first-aid and called 911 around 5:30 p.m. Thursday after the man choked during dinner, according to the state Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), which oversees the hospital. The patient was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, but did not regain consciousness.
After consulting with the patient’s guardian, doctors removed the man from life support on Saturday morning, DSHS said. The patient died Saturday night.
Western State Hospital will conduct a review of the death.