A daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. REPUBLICANS CHEER ROMNEY’S DEBATE PERFORMANCE
Even some Democratic partisans grudgingly acknowledged that the GOP candidate outperformed a cautious Obama.
2. ROMNEY: “I LOVE BIG BIRD”
Twitter users posted 17,000 tweets per minute mentioning the Sesame Street star shortly after the Republican presidential candidate made this proclamation, the only bona fide sound bite of the debate.
3. TENSIONS RISE ALONG A VOLATILE BORDER
Turkish artillery fired on Syrian targets for a second day as Turkey authorizes military operations in Syria.
4. STATE DEPARTMENT OPENS BENGHAZI REVIEW
Clinton pledges a full inquiry into whether security was adequate at the U.S. Consulate where an ambassador was killed.
5. ABORTION BOAT SAILS AROUND MOROCCAN HARBOR
Women’s rights activists sailed a sailboat around a harbor in northern Morocco on Thursday to raise awareness about abortion, despite officials’ attempts to seal the port and anti-abortion protests on land against the group.
6. WHAT’S SUSPECTED BEHIND DEADLY MENINGITIS OUTBREAK
Everyone in five states who has been sickened had received steroid injections, mostly for back pain.
7. THE NEWEST TEEN TREND: PHONE VALETS
Thousands of teens in New York City who can’t take their cells into school are paying a dollar a day to leave the devices in a truck parked nearby.
8. WHO’S NOMINATED FOR THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
Seattle-based Heart, Rush, Deep Purple, Public Enemy and N.W.A. are among the 15 artists vying for entry.
9. TIGERS’ MIGUEL CABRERA WINS TRIPLE CROWN
The feat hasn’t been accomplished since Boston’s Carl Yastrzemski did it in 1967.
10. $10 MILLION OF POT FOUND IN CHICAGO
A marijuana farm with about 1,500 plants, some 8 feet tall, was discovered in the South Side of Chicago.