Yesterday’s fire in Laurelhurst that destroyed a home under construction and damaged two others was sparked when lacquer fumes were ignited by a furnace, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
Damage is estimated at more than $7 million. The fire has been determined to be an accident.
Destroyed in the blaze was a $3.6 million lakeside home under construction. The fire spread to two adjacent homes, and embers started a small brush fire on a nearby hillside, according to Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore. Embers from the brush fire landed on three other homes on Northeast Latimer Place but were quickly doused by firefighters.
Two painters inside the house at 5131 N.E. Laurelcrest Lane told firefighters they thought a furnace had exploded at about 3:30 p.m. One of them suffered facial burns and was taken to Harborview Medical Center.
Medics also took two firefighters to Harborview, one for heat exhaustion and one for a minor injury, Moore said. The firefighter who suffered from heat exhaustion was treated and released.
Moore said the owner of the destroyed house told him it was within two months of being completed.