November 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Fatal Kitsap fire caused by fireplace log, officials say
The Associated Press
SUQUAMISH, Kitsap County – Fire officials say a fatal house fire in Suquamish likely started when a burning log rolled out of a fireplace, igniting a rug and other combustibles.
North Kitsap Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Michele Laboda said Monday afternoon’s fire killed a 57-year-old woman.
Investigators with the Kitsap County fire marshal’s office said Tuesday that the home caught fire while the woman was upstairs. It was unclear whether a smoke alarm in the home was working.
The fire was reported by neighbors and was difficult to extinguish because flames had spread to all three floors of the home.
About The Today File
The Today File is a general news blog featuring real-time coverage of Seattle and the Northwest. It is reported by the news staff of The Seattle Times and edited by Assistant Metro Editor Nick Provenza.
Trending with readers